I saw this meme over on Sloanbook and I just had to fill it out. I have to agree with Ashley that I am a weird-o too because I also like filling out new patient doctor's forms and anything else where I get to fill in blanks and check boxes. This meme is originally from irocksowhat
1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Hot Chocolate, without a doubt, because one, I have never had Egg Nog and just the thought of it grosses me out, and two, anything with chocolate in it makes the good list in my book.
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Santa only wraps SOME presents, but he uses different wrapping paper than Mom, and he leaves his gifts by the fireplace. Or that’s what he used to do, this year I’m all grown up and married, so anything could happen.
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? I definitely only like white lights outside, I have no idea why but I have always thought that way. Inside, I don’t really have a preference because I just think lights in general are pretty. Since this is our first Christmas, hubby got to pick and we have white lights on the tree inside. It looks gorgeous!
4. Do you hang mistletoe? I think we might have done it one year. Husband will definitely want to put some up this year, now that we live together. Lots of extra chances for kisses.
5. When do you put your decorations up? Growing up we always put them up the weekend after Thanksgiving, but my mom has started putting hers up earlier every year and this weekend she even did it the weekend before Thanksgiving. We have been procrastinating at my house because of schoolwork, but as of last night the tree is up with lights on. Now we just have ornaments and decorating the rest of the house!
6. What is your favorite holiday dish? I actually don’t care much for the traditional Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. I think it’s because I always know it’s coming. But I do love me some of Granny’s Christmas fudge. She makes me my own batch without the nuts. It’s great.
7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child? I decided to play detective. I wrote Santa a letter, thanking him of course, and at the end I asked if he could do me just one little favor and leave his signature. Before that, I went around to all my adult family members and got their signature, you know, so I could check for matching handwriting! Guess what!? No one’s signature matched the one that Santa left. I knew he was real.
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I think I started having doubts in elementary school, but I didn’t WANT to not believe so I didn’t really ask questions. The older I got, it kind of became a mutual understanding with my parents that I didn’t believe, but we all just love the spirit of things so no one ruined it for me. To this day I have never said, “I don’t believe.” Because I guess I don’t believe in the man in the red suit, but I do believe that my parents loved me so much to allow me to have such an special experience as part of my childhood.
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Well, we always opened presents at my house on Christmas Eve. Christmas morning was just for Santa and stockings and then Christmas day was spent going to grandparents’ houses. Husband’s family does things on Christmas Day, so it has really worked out for the best. This year we are actually having three Christmases on Christmas Eve because Ryan’s brother is a fire fighter and he has to work Christmas Day. We are going to be worn out (and full of food)!
10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? I grew up with a tree that had a mixmatch of ornaments that we collected over the years and that don’t have anything to do with each other but have everything to do with our lives. Husband grew up with a themed tree, with all matching ornaments. I think both are beautiful. But of course, I’m partial to what I grew up with. We still haven’t decided what we will be doing this year. That’s the tough part.
11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? I love it when I can stay in, but I dread it whenever I have to go driving in it without Husband. This is year I am very excited for it though. Now that we live under the same roof we will be snowed in together instead of snowed in apart!
12. Can you ice skate? Um, sometimes I can go as long as five minutes without a stumble or a fall, if that’s what you mean.
13. Do you remember your favorite gift? Probably my most favorite gift was one that I didn’t know I would love so much at the time. I was given a doll the Christmas I was two. There was nothing special about her, my parents didn’t have to wait in line for her and she wasn’t in all the TV commercials. But I named her Molly. And then I took her everywhere for almost the next ten years of my life.
14. What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Hanging out with family and just seeing so many smiling faces. I feel like it always puts people in a good mood and I look forward to that every year. Oh, and Christmas music. It’s a must.
15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Fudge!
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? We don’t do it anymore, but we used to leave COFFEE and FUDGE for Santa, and opposed to milk and cookies. I think I used to think I was like the cool kid because we gave him something different and he probably got tired of eating cookies all the time.
17. What tops your tree? We don’t have anything for our tree yet! I don’t think my family ever had the traditional star growing up, we had a bear at one time, and angel, and in most recent years, we have had a bow. It’s still up for questions at mine and Husband’s house, though!
18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving? Definitely both. I could say giving, and no one would probably be believe me, but I really do like going out and looking for gifts for people. It’s kind of like a challenge to figure out what they would like.
19. Candy Canes: Yuck or Yum? I love peppermint, but I’m not really a fan of candy canes, they tend to get stickiness all over the place and I hate eating the curved part.
20. Favorite Christmas show? Show or movie? I love the movie Elf! I usually start quoting it around Christmas time, and then Husband is reminded of how much he hates it. But he loves me enough to sit through it at least once, anyway. He’s the best.
21. Saddest Christmas Song? Christmas Shoes. If you haven’t heard it, you should. It’s the sweetest thing. I get goose-bumps whenever I hear it.
22. What is your favorite Christmas song? Oh my gosh. I have SO many favorites. I used to have an all time favorite when I was little, I have no idea what the name was or who sang it but it said, “Mama’s baking in the kitchen, Daddy’s chopping firewood,” during part of the song and so that’s what I always called it. It was always my first request when we played Mom’s CD’s in the car.
Leave me a note in the comments letting me know if you do this meme! I would love to read them! Happy almost Christmas. (20 days, but who’s counting).