via Real Mom Kitchen
So first of all, note that I am not at all skilled at photographing food. And secondly, my kitchen has really poor lighting, so I just had to go with it. I also have little to no cooking experience, so my recipe lingo is scarce and I claim to be no expert. We ended up tweaking the recipe from what you will find on Real Mom Kitchen's blog. We left out the mushrooms and the sundried tomatoes because we just wanted a plain pasta. The original recipe is enough to make two dishes, but because we left out those ingredients and used a slightly larger baking dish, it made just the right amount for one meal. (But 4-6 people definitely could have eaten out of this, we had plenty of leftovers). So here is our tweaked version.
- 6 tbsp of butter
- salt & pepper
- cooking spray
- 1 lb. penne rigate
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chikcen breasts (I acutally used pre-cut chicken breast strips)
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp flour
- 6 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 6 cups of whole milk (However, I used 2%)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded provolone (I used an Italian blend that had provolone in it)
- 1 1/2 cups parmesan (leave the 1/2 cup separate)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray baking dish with cooking spray (or use butter). And, if you are like me, get all of your ingredients measured out ahead of time because you will have to work quickly as you cook.
- Boil the pasta in a pot of salted water. I drop a small scoop of butter in the water to keep it from boiling over. When the pasta is soft, drain it and set it aside.
- While the pasta is boiling, heat the oil over medium-high in a large skillet. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and cook until slightly golden and opaque throughout. Remove from heat and thinly slice, and set aside.
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium. Add in flour and garlic, whisking 1 minute. Gradually add in milk, whisking constantly. Bring to simmer for 1 minute. Remove from heat and gradually stir in 1 1/2 cups of provolone and 1 cup of parmesan.
- Add chicken and pasta to pot, and stir. Season to taste with salt and pepper (we used garlic pepper). Scoop mixture into baking dish and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of Parmesan on top.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until top is golden and bubbling. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
And enjoy! Let me know if you try this, have tried it, or have tried the original recipe.
Happy Weekend. ♥